Tuesday, February 07, 2006

48 Hours - an All NEW Edition

I know not everyone who's going to get this is on speaking terms with the Big Guy upstairs - if you are... prayer is appreciated - if not... that's all right too... here's a synopsis of the last 48 or so hours of my life...

Some of you know that my Grandmother has been having some problems health wise recently (as in - since Thanksgiving). This past week, has seen a sharp decline, as she has started behaving extremely erratically (usually leaving the house at unusual times in her pajamas in order to do something she considers extremely important... like mail a letter at 5am... only the post office isn't open, so she can't buy a stamp), so she sits outside for awhile, then goes home)

This last Saturday was the most serious episode, since we don't know exactly how long she was outside. Grandpa had hidden the car keys, so thankfully she wasn't behind the wheel this time, or I suspect someone would probably be dead right now. Grandpa woke up around 9am Sat, and couldn't find Grandma. (They live in Seattle - which had a 50 MPH wind / rain storm Friday night and Saturday). My entire family in that area was called in to search for her, as were the police and Search and Rescue teams. When they found her (curled up in the bushes about a block from the house), she was incoherent, and hypothermic. She was admitted to the psych ward at the hospital so they could stabilize her and make sure she didn't wander off again, but pneumonia is a pretty high risk right now. She's convinced there's a conspiracy in the family to have her committed, and unfortunately, by admitting her to the hospital for the hypothermia, I have a feeling that's cemented in her mind.

As of today, she's refusing her medication, thinking that the hospital is trying to poision her. The doctors are thinking right now that this is something temporary, brought on by shock and depression (rooted in the health problems that started back in Nov), but she's got to be taking the meds in order to see if she'll pull out of it - so there's a rather nasty catch 22 going on.I will be talking to my boss tomorrow about taking a couple days off so I can fly up and say goodbye... since things are so unpredictable that there's really no telling what tomorrow is going to bring.

So, specific focal points for prayer:
1. That I can keep a grip on myself and not become a basket case. It's been very difficult to not come unglued today - mostly because there's nothing I can do about the situation RIGHT NOW. I need patience, understanding and a deeper understanding of Philippians 4:6-7 :-)

2. That I can be alert and effective at work, so I can get my tasks done in less time then usual, so I can go up there with a clean desk behind me - and not worry about what I'm not getting done.

3. That God will intervene and break the cycle going on within Grandma, or at least provide one more opportunity for someone to share (attempt to share) the gospel. She has been extremely hostile and unreceptive thus far.

4. That Grandpa can hold up, and remain strong. My aunt says he appears to have aged 20 years in the last 3 days... and I'm concerned for him too

5. That my mom and her siblings (and my brother and I) can calmly and easily arrive at a course of action to persue through this - without a lot of fighting, crabbiness and hurt feelings.

My grandparents are David and Margaret, by the way.

Thank you for reading this, and for your thoughts and prayers. It means a lot to know that I am not alone going through this.

No comments: