Monday, November 03, 2008

Robert Frost sums up my current state of mind and reflections on life very well with

"The Road Not Taken"

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Sometimes it's tough to remember to keep looking forward - and not back at the road you didn't take.

I heard recently that a date has been selected for my 10 year high school reunion. 10 years. In some ways, it's hard to believe it's been that long... and in others, it seems longer. I'm not where I expected to be at this point of my life... I think the "path not taken" in my life will probably surprise many people - old friends, teachers, the people who wouldn't talk to me in school, myself.

My list of "Have Done's" and "Haven't Done's" is almost opposite what I expected. I haven't graduated from college, I haven't gotten married or had children, I haven't published a great American novel or written a song that's topped the charts. I haven't invented the next toaster oven, or helped send a rocket to the moon. I haven't done a whole lot that the up and coming business world would consider "success." I don't have a whole lot to hide behind under the guise of successful showing off. But...

But, I have lived on both sides of the country. I have done a cross-country road trip... by myself... without staying in hotels... I have loved... and lost (and I do believe that experience was better than to have never loved at all.) I have folded laundry and scrubbed toilets, I have climbed trees and served coffee. I have discovered the uncounted uses for duct tape. I have laughed at weddings and cried at funerals. I have danced on the beach and ridden roller coasters until I was dizzy. I have scrubbed leaves from the roof of my grandfather's house, and been a human jungle gym for my cousin's children. I have celebrated victories, and lamented defeats. I have tried to hide from God.... and I have gone running to His arms. I have discovered that my inner child may not be as far deep inside me as the world would have me believe. I have learned that in order to truly live life in living color, you need to be able to laugh at yourself, and love unconditionally.

If I had to live the last ten years over, would I do everything exactly the same? No. I would spend less time investigating the intracacies of the latest video games, and more time out at the park, throwing frisbees for my favorite golden retriever. I would spend less time worrying about how much people like me, and more time figuring out how to shower others with genuine friendship and (dare I say it?) love. I would spend less time daydreaming about what I wish I could do, and more time figuring out how to actually accomplish it. I would spend less time wondering if people are proud of me, and more time wondering if God is proud of me.

All the same, I think I well and truly have taken the road less travelled.... and it has made all the difference. I sincerely pray that I continue to find that road in the future.

No comments: